Besides the title that invokes warm delicious food, what might be the inspiration for these protective pancakes? My background in alliteration? Certainly this was not a challenge submitted from any of our readership (hi mom).
Welp, I love pancakes made with Oat Flour, but this morning I realized I was all out. I further love to protect prostates and bones. Did I mention I am not a doctor, nutritionist, naturopath, acupuncturist, or psychic? Read onward, if you dare. Or go here for a more traditional pancake.
History of Dish
1/4/2010. Though I know others have taken blade to oat before me.
About five or six medium protector pancakes. Enough for two people if you are Rob and I.
- 2/3 cup whole rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/3 cup whole 'raw' almonds
- 1/3 cup whole raw pumpkin seeds (the green kind in bulk sections)
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 T Canola oil + 1 t baking powder + ½ t baking soda
- 2/3 cup almond or soy milk
- 1 bananna, mashed
- Blend the oats, almonds, seeds, and cloves until mealy.
- In a small dish, stir the Canola and baking powder and soda together with a fork.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, dump in the blended 'flour' mixture.
- Mix in the Canola mixture.
- Add the liquid (almond or soy) then stir in the mashed banana.
The mixture will seem very watery initially, but will be soaked up by the flour within a few minutes.
It occurred to me that you could have a very nice raw foodist's breakfast if you just simply eat the mixture without cooking it. Or, as a compromise, you could gently warm it in your sauce pan and add some black strap mollases for a power-punch of iron, calcium, and potassium. But this is Hortamatic, so we'll fry these suckers up, pancake-style.
- Heat your cast iron or non-stick pan over medium-low heat and add 2 T olive oil.
- When ready (sizzles with drop of water) add about 1/3 cup of the batter for each pancake.
- Cook on each side till lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
We added ground up flax seed for extra omega 3s and slathered these with strawberry jam.
Optional: Add some berries or fruit to the mix, or ground walnuts. Adjust liquids/flours.
Bon appetite, prostate and bone density! These are also tasty, and full of protein, so they should be a good start to your day.