Horta = Vegetable. Hortamatic = Traditional recipe gone veganized goodness.

SUBMIT YOUR RECIPE FOR VEGANIZIN'

November 24, 2010

Creamy Spinach Basket Dip

They were all out of round bread baskets.

Intros and Inspirations

At one point probably already mentioned on this blog I thought it would be a grand idea to make all foods with edible containers. Off the top of my head, this already includes burritos, taco salads, spring rolls, pot pies, pizza, and….spinach dip in bread baskets. I also recall an edible bamboo basket at Seattle’s vegan restaurant Bamboo Garden. Zero waste and 100% filling? It’s very utilitarian.

Utility aside, I love to eat a damned good spinach dip. I’m especially keen on the fact that, as a friend exclaimed, “You can’t even taste the spinach!”


History of Dish

My rule to spend two seconds searching for food item history did not yield results for the origin of spinach dip, so I am going to opine the following:

Spinach is yucky. If you hide it in cream and fat and salt, you will not notice this trait as you eat it and you will absorb a lot of iron.

Yield

One bowl o’ spinach dip enough for bread basket.


Ingredients

Mix together in bowl:

  • 8 cups fresh spinach, chopped
  • 5 stocks celery, chopped/minced
  • 1 leek, minced
  • ½ cup Bac’Uns
  • ½ cup nutritional yeast
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetarian “chicken” broth powder

Blend in mixer/blender:

  • 1 tub Tofutti sour cream
  • 1 cup Vegenaise
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke

Add the blended mix to the other mix, and stir together.



Cut out a hole from the top of either a round or regular loaf of bread as pictured. Chop up the cut outs for dipping.


Place spinach dip into the bread hole and you’re finished. Serve with Ritz-style crackers (we buy the generic Whole Foods brand).

Conclusion

This one is a potlucker, meaning it might take the place of my seitan at future parties, for awhile. Delicious, smoky, smooth, creamy, lovely iron.


1 comment:

  1. Note to self: I should not read your blog when I am hungry. Now I am starving! This looks so delicious! Umm, I'll be expecting some at the next potluck. (maybe you could leave some outside the bread so I could have a taste):-)

    ReplyDelete