Horta = Vegetable. Hortamatic = Traditional recipe gone veganized goodness.

SUBMIT YOUR RECIPE FOR VEGANIZIN'

January 30, 2010

Snow Soup

Snow soup!

I took the opportunity of our first real snow (heaviest in 10-20 years as I understand) to make something sweet out of it. Mom first introduced snow soup to me as a kid in Seattle, and I was a fan immediately. Anything you can turn into a dessert is a winner nominated by my tooth, the sweet one, unless the creation causes suffering indirectly or directly to another...then it's a bummer.

Fortunately for my tooth, this snow caused no harm, at least the part in my yard. I can't speak to the street part.
For this recipe, I carefully hand-picked the snow from our front yard on the side our dog Syba hadn't peed on earlier.


Ta da!


  • Bowl of snow (fresh)
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 4 T almond or soy milk
  • Stir.
Tastes just like ... snow soup.

This is part snow soup story, part cautionary tale. In an alarming moment, I discovered an unidentifiable particle in my bowl:

Speck, to the right of spoon. Piece of dirt, tree bark, or....other?

Be careful during the selection process.

No comments:

Post a Comment